Art is such an important thing in any community. Art is an expression of self, it is an escape from the real world and it can speak hundreds of words without even spelling one single thing.
I consider myself an artist. I write, take photos and, I used to paint and sketch. Maybe that is why I consider the arts so essential in daily life. However, I haven't always found relief in my creations, I have also been moved and changed by art. Just the other day I was listening to "Lifetime," a track on Kris Allen's (American Idol) debut album, and it changed me - I didn't even notice it at first.
The song, written by Allen, is a beautiful song! The track gave me a new outlook on not only myself, but my future. I know, seems like heavy words for a 3 minute song. But I am able to find these messages in a lot of art forms. Just listen to the lyrics and the passion behind the voice.
But branching outside of my musical obsessions I have found art, in its deepest form, in novel format. The Alchemist. It is a novel nothing like I have ever read. It is a book that has given new life around the world. Public figures like Bill Clinton have even been snap'd reading it.
I love books. Normally you can catch me reading Sophie Kinsella chick lit (Shopaholic's) or reading plays by funnyman Steve Martin (a comic genius by the way!). So, it was really different to engross myself in words that are unexplainably inspiring.
Paul Coelho first published his book 21 years ago. This book is a fable about following your dreams, telling us that when we discover what we are meant to do in the world (your personal legend), the universe will conspire to make it happen. You know, I wouldn't normally believe that but lately, after reading Coelho's words, I am starting to realize that he is right; this book is a testament of the human soul and purpose.
If you're like me, down on your luck, still trying to find the reason behind your struggle, I suggest picking up The Alchemist. It will give you a new hope and it will open your eyes wider than ever before.
- Em

0 comments:
Post a Comment